Monday, May 7, 2007

dW 05.07.07

scripture

Jonah 4:1-4

But Jonah was greatly displeased and became angry. He prayed to the LORD, "O LORD, is this not what I said when I was still at home? That is why I was so quick to flee to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity. Now, O LORD, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live." But the LORD replied, "Have you any right to be angry?"

 

thought

Isn’t how Jonah describes God a complete oxymoron to how Jonah requests that God then take his life? Uncontrolled anger produces irrational thought and creates distance between us and God.  

 

quote

I avoid looking forward or backward, and try to keep looking upward.

Charlotte Bronte

 

overseas experience

My wife and I went to the Middle East 3 years ago to visit an American friend of mine that was serving for a Christian mission organization. He introduced us to his Muslim friend Wil. Wil taught English at a local university to the Arabic students. While walking one day he and I were teaching each other our languages. He would ask me what an English word was or meant and then we’d say it in Arabic. We were laughing trying to pronounce the words and enjoying our new friendship. Then without hesitation he reached over and put his hand in my hand. I didn’t know what to do. I was freaking out inside. My head was racing, “I am walking down a street with another man that is holding my hand.” Behind us I could hear my American friend laughing.

Come to find out… In the Middle East men hug, hold hands, and greet each other with kisses on the cheek. In the West we have such a need for personal space. Overseas either the population size does not allow this space or the culture just does not require it like we do.

 

No comments:

Quote

“The best thing to do with the best things in life is to give them away.” Shane Claiborne