Friday, April 30, 2010

dW 04.30.10

dW

 

scripture

 

1 Samuel 16:6-7

When Jesse and his sons arrived, Samuel noticed Jesse's oldest son, Eliab. "He has to be the one the LORD has chosen," Samuel said to himself. But the LORD told him, "Samuel, don't think Eliab is the one just because he's tall and handsome. He isn't the one I've chosen. People judge others by what they look like, but I judge people by what is in their hearts."

 

quote

 

In his book Irresistible Revolution, Shane Claiborne tells of a friend who told him that Jesus never saw a prostitute.  Immediately Shane opened his sword (Bible) to do battle. He was looking in the gospel accounts for when Jesus did in fact come in contact with prostitutes during His ministry.  Shane’s friend stopped his search and said again, “Jesus never saw a prostitute.  He only saw someone that He was madly in love with.”

 

reflection

 

I first wanted to provide “thoughts” but I have a different idea instead. If you want to share your thoughts and/or questions about the scripture and quote pairing, then reply and I will post them on the site for our mutual edification and continued dialogue. If you wish to be anonymous, then please indicate that wish.

 

http://www.the-daily-Word.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While it is easy to understand that Jesus never saw a prostitute, or thief, or liar, etc., it is much more difficult to believe that He is madly in love with me. I think the story of the Prodigal Son is my favorite, yet I always have trouble imagining God's pure joy at seeing me return home. How can that be remedied? (anonymous)

Quote

“The best thing to do with the best things in life is to give them away.” Shane Claiborne