Thursday, May 22, 2008

dW 05.22.08

scripture

 

Proverbs 15:31-33
He who listens to a life-giving rebuke will be at home among the wise.

He who ignores discipline despises himself, but whoever heeds correction gains understanding.

The fear of the LORD teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor.

 

En Espanol

 

thoughts

 

Shane Claiborne wrote a book titled Irresistible Revolution. In it he wrote that if what he wrote did not upset some people then he’d wonder if he really wrote what God wanted him to. Throughout the book I was challenged and confronted with many questions about my own faith experience and how I was living it out. Once I finished the book I decided to write Shane a letter. In the opening line I said that his book made me upset and that this was an angry letter. I explained that the reason why I was upset was that it opened my eyes to some ways in which my faith was lacking. I was spending almost all my time soaking in instead of getting wrung out. God’s blessings flow over our cup so that we can share it with others. However, my actions reflected that I had this idea that it was all meant for me. He wrote back and said that he loved the letter. He was glad that it upset me. With the letter was a small baggy of sand and a clothing tag on which read, “This sand is from Assisi. Saint Francis heard God say ‘repair my church’. May the repairs continue in us.” May we be humble when our faults are made aware to us and wise to correct them.

No comments:

Quote

“The best thing to do with the best things in life is to give them away.” Shane Claiborne