Wednesday, May 16, 2007

dW 05.15.07

scripture

1 Corinthians 9:25-27

Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

illustration

My wife and I once lived in an area where a beautiful cardinal kept its nest. Cardinals are very territorial and will fight off intruding cardinals zealously. At that time, we owned a van which had large mirrors and chrome bumpers. Occasionally, the cardinal would attack the bumpers or mirrors, thinking that his reflection was another bird. One day, I watched the cardinal assail the mirror, I thought, “What a foolish creature; his enemy is merely the reflection of himself.” Immediately the Lord spoke to my heart, “And so also are many of your enemies the reflection of yourself.” – Francis Frangipane, The Three Battlegrounds

self inspection

Are the things oppressing us today the harvest of what we planted yesterday? – Francis Frangipane, The Three Battlegrounds

No comments:

Quote

“The best thing to do with the best things in life is to give them away.” Shane Claiborne